Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Hungry, anyone?

As I have introduced my newly published study book on the Kings of Judah to my readers, I felt it was necessary to share the background on the book, how I came to write it, and what was behind the inspiration to study such a portion of Scripture.

About 20 years ago a missionary who stayed at our home related a story that has stayed with me and inspired me.  During the Vietnam war, captured South Vietnamese Christians would volunteer for latrine duty because the North Vietnamese soldiers and officers would use pages torn from their confiscated Bibles as toilet paper.   I couldn't imagine the hunger and thirst for God's Word they must have experienced to find themselves in such a fetid pit to retrieve a few  pages from the holy Scriptures.

I had to ask myself how I measured up to that!  Had I grown to take God's Word for granted as I walked each day in relative comfort and ease?  Was His Word so much at my fingertips that I had forgotten how precious it was?  I have come to believe that every portion of Scripture is worth a good study.  The Kings of Judah represent a piece of the biological ancestral thread from where we received our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  God's faithfulness to an often unfaithful people amazes me.  I am mesmerized by His mercy and grateful for His grace.  For He has and will forever operate within the perameters of His Covenants and character.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, thank you for the reminder on how we should cherish the Lord's word!!! We are very lucky to have it EVERYWHERE: Bumper stickers, phones, radio....May I never take that for granted and still hide it in my heart!

    ReplyDelete